Saturday, December 1, 2007

A Shout out to DJ - Happy 30th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Birthday Girl is the one with light skin!

Well on Sunday December 2nd my good friend Alicia M. Johnson is turning the BIG 3-0 so I thought I would post a blog all about her and how amazing she is! Plus she did ask a few weeks ago when I was going to post about her again - she is the megabus girl that was posted earlier. Let me start by saying that Alicia and DJ are the one in the same DJ is her nickname-which she has had since 1996 when we were freshman in college-I will give you a small hint on where the nickname came from the show FULL HOUSE!

I like to give DJ a hard time because she is a whole week older than me, truthfully I give her a hard time because she seems to care about getting older a little more than I do so I just razz her some about that. I met DJ in college my freshman year when both were in the same sorority- I know its hard to believe I was in a sorority but its true. I am not 100% sure when we became really close friends, it just sort of happens when two fun and amazing people hang out together they just become friends for life.

We have been through a lot together in the 11 years that we have known each other here is a list from off the top of my head so I am sure that I will forget many things: a spring break cruise in college, New Orleans for New Years (at least 4 times, maybe 5), random weekend trips to Iowa, Maryville, Nebraska, DC, St. Louis, we have seen Albert the Bull at least 4 times, planned wedding shows and baby showers for other people, her dad's death, my parents divorce, dealing with both of our moms emotional processes, several family/friend deaths, living with siblings (hers was a little more hectic - her bro is a little anal), and much much more but those are the items that stick out to me.

DJ - I know that getting older can be sad but just look back at all that you have gone through and accomplished and be amazed at how amazing the Lord is and how he does have a plan for you. You were able to raise money in the Race for the Cure for your dad, you walked several miles in a walk to raise awareness for suicide, you got to go to Ghana Africa to help with AIDS orphans and with their education, you are currently doing amazing work with American Cancer society, and you are also paying a tutor to give a better education and life options for one of the orphans that you met while in Ghana! WOW!!! You have an amazing heart for people and you are doing great things for people all over the world, GOD has His hands on your heart and I am just blessed that He has chosen to keep our friendship going strong! DJ I love you and have a fantastic birthday - sorry I cannot be there - darn that coaching job :) :)

2 comments:

Aaron 'The Batman' Schwartz said...

Telling me you love Pearl Jam has instantly vaulted you into the category of "best friends." You are obviously very cool, hip, intelligent, and to boot, genteel. That's right, the late 19th century vernacular revival beings here and now. Congratulations: you rule!

Alicia said...

WOW!!! Thanks Maase, I feel so incredibly special! What a fabulous birthday gift, a tribute to me on your blog. Really you should think about getting your blog published somewhere with a larger audience! These posts are really starting to get good!!! =)

You’re the best and you yourself have a very special day approaching quickly. I thought turning 30 was actually fun, so hopefully you enjoy you day just as much!