Thursday, July 24, 2008

A "Golden" Lady


A tribute to one of my favorite actress. Estelle Getty, also known as Sophia on the Golden Girls passed away on July 22, 2008 at the age of 84, just 3 days from her 85th birthday. The news reports say that she died from natural causes, she did however suffer from dementia and osteoporosis.


Estelle had a great career in television, she was most known for her role as Sophia, the mother of Dorothy on the Golden Girls. She also did some work on Broadway and as a comedian in her beginning days of acting.
Emmy Awards
1986 – Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series – The Golden Girls – (Nominated)
1987 – Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series –
The Golden Girls – (Nominated)
1988 – Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series –
The Golden Girls – (Won)
1989 – Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series –
The Golden Girls – (Nominated)
1990 – Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series –
The Golden Girls – (Nominated)
1991 – Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series –
The Golden Girls – (Nominated)
1992 – Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series –
The Golden Girls – (Nominated)

Golden Globe Awards
1985 – Actress in a Leading Role – Musical or Comedy Series – The Golden Girls – (Nominated)
1986 – Actress in a Leading Role – Musical or Comedy Series –
The Golden Girls – (Won)
1991 – Actress in a Supporting Role – Series, Mini-Series or Television Movie –
The Golden Girls – (Nominated)

Sophia has always been my favorite Golden Girl. I am glad that my mom has bought me all the Seasons on DVD, that way I can see Estelle/Sophia any time I want. I have enjoyed The Golden Girls for many many years. I enjoy the show because it is funny and in a small way I hope that parts of my life in the future as an elderly person is like theirs. I think it would be fun to live with some of my friends when our husbands are in heaven and just enjoy each others company...and of course eating cheese cake every night would also be amazing, since it so happen that cheese cake is my favorite dessert as well.
If you feel like celebrating Estelle's life as Sophia Friday July 25th Lifetime television is doing a marathon tribute from 12 noon to 5p.m.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Oh sad day, this hurts my heart! Sophia was definitely my favorite golden girl.

Tom and Leah said...

how old was she when she was on the show? in her 60's? she looked so much older. that's a weird realization, they were all probably fairly close in age. i'll move in with you when tom moves on and i'm looking for someone to drink tea and read books slowly with. i'll also make cheesecake.