Saturday, January 23, 2010

Lil Char

January 22nd was my grandma's 86th birthday! This is my grandma Charlotte Marlin, I spent tons of time with her growing up and I honestly still do. Her opinion matters to me in a very big way, she is one of my heroes and probably my first hero or at least close by my to my dad - I was a daddy's little girl - (Mom no worries you are one of my heroes as well but this post is about Granny so you will have to wait your turn). Every time I hear that song by Bette Midler Wind Beneath My Wings - i think of my granny. She will always hold a special spot in my heart.
To be completely honest my grandmas birthday did make me a tad nervous, only because my grandma Maasen died on her birthday back in November. Then I just realized that I was being fearful and I should not live life like that. So anyways today I went over to her house to hang out with her for a few hours. Yep at 86 she still lives in an apartment all by herself - she is amazing and fully alert and is able to do more than me most days. We hung out and watch some basketball - I love that she watches sports - I think it is because my grandpa made her watching them when he was alive (he died when I was in 7th grade). I need to ask her though because she knows a lot about sports and watches all kinds! (She loves golf-watches it a lot, and she watches a ton of Atlanta Braves games, but that is because they are on TBS all the time). I brought lunch for me and some onion rings and a root beer for her from the famous Fritz's (the original)! It was great to just sit and talk to her about all the things that were on her mind. A few of the topics-which are always discussed-were: money, what's new with me, coaching, my trip, Melissa Yoh, and my roommates. My grandma did tell me that I should just ask Melissa really nicely to move back and maybe she would :) and she told me to get Cassie and Belle something nice for their birthdays - because everyone likes presents especially kids. I asked granny then if my present for her birthday was her favorite of course she laughed and didn't really answer but I know it was. It was coffee and coffee mate - FROM COSTCO!!
Here are some things that I will always remember about my grandma:
weekend sleepovers, oatmeal with cinnamon sugar toast, spaghetti and meatballs, swinging on her porch swing, coloring and water coloring with her, playing cards games (old maid, rummy, and the circle game), shopping trips (millions), the trip to Vegas, falling asleep on her lap on the couch, the many trips to Fritz's, watching sports, her being the 1st one to always call me on my birthday at like 7a.m. or earlier, i know that there are many more but it is making me kind of sad so I am going to stop.
Granny I love you and I am thankful you are still in my life so I can still get some quality time. Thanks for being great and loving me unconditionally. I hope that if I live to be your age that I can do things for myself and still be strong and alert like you! You make me proud to be your granddaughter.

PS. The title is Lil Char because Yoh nicknamed her that and I think that granny secretly likes it!

10 comments:

Susan said...

Fabulous post. I love it when you blog, because I feel like it always opens up a side of you that I don't get to see at house church functions. And I like what I see.

Maasen said...

thanks Susan. the funny thing is I have been trying to be more open but it is hard. thanks for reading and enjoying my blogs.

Susan said...

No, not like you haven't been open. Just that it's things I don't think to ask about at church, like what you love about your grandma. Or seeing your pictures, which is more of an online thing. I think you're doing a great job of being open.

Allison said...

Beautiful opening picture. One of the things I liked about this post was picturing you doing all of these things with your Granny. I think I automatically saw my Nanny's face in my mind, but that is because I don't know what your Granny looks like. It was fun seeing you as a kid. Maybe I should see pictures of you as a kid for real sometime, and a picture of your Granny as well. Reading this post reminded me how grateful I am for my grandparents, and how much I love! them.

Lauren Blake said...

Your grandma sounds great. thanks for posting about her. I love getting to see what things and people make you come alive

Alicia said...

Happy Birthday to your grandma Maase! I really appreciate your blog because even if phone tag does plague us, I still get a little Maasen in my day!

cass said...

Yea. I want to see pictures of baby maas too!

Tom and Leah said...

come on maas, you missed an important one -- after sleeping on her lap you should have said watching the golden girls. i support granny's thoughts on gifts too. that might be a tip-off (get it) to her love language. you know what i love about granny? she helped make you an awesome person. and she lives by the original fritz's. we'll make it there sometime. maybe for cassie's birthday.

sreviewfilms said...

You have very nice picture witch dog. The dog is sweet ;)

Anonymous said...

Great blog that makes an interesting read! Feel a little like I know you!